Saturday, July 24, 2010

About being healthy

Written 21st July.

Although I do love being in Pakistan, it has been really tough for me in terms of health. I have been hospitalised twice, and been off sick 4 days or so in past 3 weeks, and almost every day I suffer from stomach cramps, headache, fever etc, but still manage to go to work. I have never been this sick in my entire life, and never been hospitalised before, and the doctors didnt know what is wrong with me.

Being ill really makes you question about your life, as there are days when you don’t want to get out of bed, and days when you feel so weak that you can barely stand…and sometimes it’s a chore even to lift my computer, and I used to be able to carry 100 kgs of stuff from south to north of Poland just few years ago! I love being active, and at the moment cannot fully complete my work, take part in hobbies, or meet friends or stay in touch with family, which really frustrates me…but then I start thinking about why I’m here, as there has been a couple of times that I felt like going back home to Finland, but I have always been survivor and never give up! I came here to make a difference, in AIESEC terms to make a positive impact in society by making AIESEC in Pakistan grow so that more people could enjoy life-changing experiences, and the vision that I have for this year is almost the only thing that keeps me going.


Previously health was something I took for granted, and was never on top of my list, I was always focusing more on career success, friends and family, and many people were amased how I could go on working for 10 hours without any food, and I would take pride in surviving just with chocolate, energy drinks for few days. Despite being vegetarian with poor eating habits my blood levels etc have never suffered, and I could juggle work, university, friends, family and hobbies with poor food, little sleep, no exercise and no relaxation…but here in Pakistan my body cannot take my lifestyle anymore, and need to change everything to get better, health has suddenly become my top priority.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    It's great to hear your story/experiences--simliar to what travellers/ short-term resident experience in pakistan. i returned back to the US after spending 8 months as Clinton fellow in Pakistan. Have a couple of good friends in aiesec and spend a few months at the AIESEC house in KHI.

    Here's to wishing a wonderful exciting year! :)-
    ambreen

    ReplyDelete